In Personal Injury

If you are in an accident there are many things you should do to protect your ability to be adequately compensated. The most important step you should do now, before you are in an accident. Contact an experienced and caring insurance agent to make sure you are protected from a uninsured motorist.

If you are in an accident with an underinsured or uninsured motorist, you may not have much recourse. People who operate motor vehicles with little or no insurance, usually have little to protect. They do not own their home or their home is underwater. They may be employed, but do not earn a lot of money. You can sue the negligent person, but collecting is often impossible. They may even file bankruptcy preventing you from suing.  That does not mean the responsible party should not be held responsible.  If you need to sue to collect you should start with a free telephone consultation with a local personal injury lawyer to determine the best course of action.

Your recourse is in your own insurance policy. If you have uninsured motorist/ underinsured motorist coverage, your insurance in effect becomes the negligent party’s insurance. You now can be compensated for your injury and loses, such as lost wages, out of pocket medical expenses and more. Consult with an insurance agent that has his or her clients’ best interest at heart. Make sure that you have adequate uninsured and underinsured coverage.

Discuss the potential need for conversion coverage. Conversion coverage protects you if the party responsible for your injuries has insurance, but not sufficient to cover your damages. For example, if you suffer damages totaling $150,000, the responsible party has a $50,000 policy and your standard underinsured coverage is $100,000, the most you can collect is $100,000. Your insurer in entitled to a credit for the $50,000 paid by the other insurance and only pays you $50,000. If you have conversion coverage, you would receive $50,000 from the wrongdoer’s insurance. Your conversion coverage would pay you’re full $100,000 coverage, thus you would be fully compensated for the $150,000. Also discuss Medical Pay coverage, which can save you on deductible and copay expenses required by most health insurance.

Call 203-304-9050 (877-286-3414 toll free) or contact us online to schedule your free initial phone consultation.

Personal Injury Lawyers Serving Danbury, Connecticut and all of Fairfield and New Haven Counties.

Recent Posts
Contact Us

Free Phone Consultations

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt
family law ctmonroe Connecticut Attorneys