Finding a good Bankruptcy attorney requires effort, research and trust in your gut. An attorney that is good in one practice of law may not be up to speed on the latest bankruptcy laws. Luckily there are many ways to identify attorneys that primarily practice Bankruptcy Law.
Your town or county’s local bar associations may have a referral service that you can call. Google makes it very easy to find most or all the attorneys that practice bankruptcy law in your jurisdiction. An accountant or financial planner may also be of help. The real question is, how do you know which are good bankruptcy attorneys? I will suggest a few ways that you can try to decide which attorney is a good fit for you.
How to Find a Good Bankruptcy Attorney
- Search the Connecticut Grievance Committee’s findings to see if the attorney has ever been reported or disciplined.
- Review testimonials on the firm’s web site.
- Review testimonials and reviews at third party sites like AVVO.COM.
- If you ever used a non-bankruptcy attorney for a will or real estate closing, give him or her a call and see if they have heard about an attorney you are considering.
- Review my article “Traits Of A Great Bankruptcy Attorney”
The most important thing is to call and talk to the attorney. You can develop a sense as to whether you feel comfortable with them and if they will hear your situation. One of the most important traits of a good bankruptcy attorney is communication. The attorney will need to know what you can handle and be able to relay that effectively to the judge and bankruptcy trustee. After you have had a chance to review the various attorneys’ web sites, reviews and testimonials, and spoken with each, you will hopefully have a good idea which attorney you feel most comfortable with.
Give us a call at 203-304-9050 (877-286-3414 toll free) or contact us online to schedule your free initial phone consultation.
Bankruptcy Lawyers serving Danbury, Connecticut and all of Fairfield and New Haven Counties.